1. Your LiveJournal "user name": bride
Explain what it means:
Because I am The Bride... like duh. =) My husband and I went to see his extended family in Taiwan in January 2001. No one could remember my real name for more than 3 seconds at a stretch, so I was affectionately known as just "The Bride". Even though it seemed like everyone and their little sister were getting married this year.
2. The "name" that you chose to use (if not your USER name): Bride of the First House
In Chinese culture, the entire family lives together - this has become a less frequent occurance though, especially in the West. In dynastic China, the more affluent families had separate sections of the family estate specifically owned and run by one of the sons. Each of them were, to some degree, autonomous, self-sufficient, had their own serving staff, etc. These were called Houses. Not just the buildings themselves, but the concept of the sub-family, so to speak. The eldest son's family was "The First House", the second son's family was "The Second House", etc. My husband is the Eldest son of the Eldest son. I am the Bride of the First House.
3. Explain how you picked / why you selected the user picture(s) that you have?
I originally wanted to do a "Clothing Icon" for every day, along side of my Mood and Weather icons. But this got a little too hairy, so I just made a bunch of dolls with clothes that are similar to what I would wear and change them once in a while.
- The Stats -
4. Date of survey (because things will change as soon as you finish it): February 15, 2002
Account type: Paid.
Friends (#): 23.
Friends of (#): 26.
Communities (#): 7.
Memories (#): 44.
Journal entries: 589.
Comments posted: It doesn't show this anymore, but my guess is around 1500.
Gando totalos of: Just under 2800.
- Your Journal -
5. Why do you have a Journal page?
Originally, it was to keep myself on track with wedding planning, for posterity reasons, then later it was to get my thoughts, feelings, highs and lows out so that I wouldn't be carrying them around with me.
Do you have a Journal page for yourself, your friends, strangers to know you, and/or everyone?
I'm not sure what this is asking, but I have one generic journal (bride) and one private journal (quietude).
6. Why did you pick LiveJournal (LJ) over another service or handwriting?
My hand can't keep up with my brain, so I hated keeping book journals. I type much faster than I write. It's still not great, but it's a little better. I made something like LiveJournal on my own, but xinit found LJ and told all of us at work about it. I decided to give it a try.
7. On a scale of 1-10 (10 being the highest) how well does your LiveJournal represent who you actually are?
7 or 8. I don't lie about who I am, what I do or what I think, but you can't know someone entirely through their own descriptions of themselves and their lives. There are things that I can't (and won't) say. There are topics that simply don't come up in LiveJournal. We all choose to or choose not to participate in all the conversations we come across. So, that will definitely colour things. And those are only the simplest examples I can think of.
8. How do you think your LJ represents you the most...
I don't think I understand this question, but here's my attempt at answering it: I don't post Sexual or Artistic - and I've only posted Religious Fact ("Guan-Yin Prayer" and "FoZhu Bead Count"), not Religious Opinion (ie. what I believe in).
It's about 40/40/20 for Factual/Emotional/Intellectual. I don't put a lot of Intellectual in here, because, well, I don't have a lot of Intellectual to spew. The Intellectual that's involved is really the Reasoning that ties the Factual and Emotional together in a sane way.
9. How much about your life do you post to LJ?
Is there anything you refuse to post about?
Definitely. I won't post specifics about my work. There are other things I refuse to post about, but I refuse to post about what I refuse to post about. =)
10. On a scale of 1-10 how interesting do you think your own journal is to others?
5? *shrug* I honestly don't think I'm very interesting, but a lot of my Friends List are people who have found me and glommed onto me =)
11. From who/how did you find out about LJ?
12. Has anyone ever joined LJ because of you?
13. How long have you been a member of LJ?
Since 2001-02-08 12:19:38. Wow, those are very auspicious numbers... Oh and I missed my First LJ Anniversary. Ah well. =)
14. How often do you post to LJ?
Several times a day.
15. What proportion of your posts are friends only?
Almost none. I only post Friends Only things once in a blue moon.
16. What is your favorite interest on LJ?
17. What is your favorite community on LJ?
weddingplans, lunared, zhongwen.
18. Have you ever learned anything new on LJ?
All the time.
19. Has anything on LJ ever caused you to establish, rethink, or even change your belief or position on something?
20. How often do you respond / comment on other peoples journals?
That's tough, if a topic comes up that I have a lot to say about and other people haven't already said the same thing, then I go on a Mad Commenting Binge. But otherwise, I don't comment much...
21. Do you prefer to write in your Journal, read other Journals, respond to others entries, or get responses to your entries?
All of the above.
22. What's the longest you've gone without posting to LJ since the day you signed up?
A month. But I back dated my entries once I came back.
23. What's the longest you've gone without reading LJ since you discovered it?
24. What is your favorite post you've ever made to LJ?
My Wedding Day.
25. What is your favorite post you've ever read on LJ?
I don't really have a favorite post...
26. What's the weirdest or funniest thing you've seen on LJ?
27. Have you ever specifically asked a question for people to reply to in your Journal?
Yes. I asked for an opinion on what dress I should wear to my company Christmas Party.
28. Have you ever tried to play the "trace yourself back through friends from a random LJ user"?
29. Have you ever played the "add a sentence to my post" game?
30. Have you ever lied/fibbed in your journal?
31. Have you ever had something mean said to you or been stalked, harassed, or got into an argument/flame war on LJ (or did it to someone else)?
32. Have you ever banned someone from your Journal?
Yes. I banned quietude because I was sick and tired of forgetting to log out and posting a reply as Quietude instead of Bride.
33. Has LiveJournal had any significant impact on your life?
Not in the grand scheme of things, no.
- Friends -
34. Who are your favorite LJ friend(s) and why?
All the people in my Friends List are my favorite LJ Friends. Except lj_maintenance, who can't really be considered a "Friend". I just didn't add astral because she doesn't write in that journal anyway =)
35. How many of your LJ friends are your friends in "real life"?
xinit, nicosian, piyomomo, juky
36. How many of your LJ friends have you actually met?
Only the four that I know in real life.
37. Have you ever e-mailed or I.M.'d someone you found on LJ?
Yup. I've chat with buttaflii and badkarma_05. I've e-mailed just about everyone in my Friends List.
38. Of all of the people on LJ you know of, who is the most like you?
We're all similar in some ways, but none of them are more like me than the others.
39. Who is the most intelligent or insightful person you know on LJ?
Everyone on my Friends List was added for an entry, a comment or just a journal in general, that I felt was intelligent and insightful in some way.
40. Who is the most fun person you know on LJ?
piyomomo with badkarma_05 a close second. The two of them together and a little bit of green_paper just have me in stitches sometimes. =)
41. Who is your least favorite/most annoying LJ user or community?
None. I don't read annoying users/communities. Some of the communities I'm on are annoying at times and there are annoying users who post, but none that really stand out.
42. How do you usually find new friends on LJ?
They usually find me.
43. Why are you most likely to add someone to your friends list?
If their posts make me laugh, make me cry, make me think about them when I'm not around the computer, make me hope it all works out for them or makes me cheer for them when things work out right. Their spelling and grammar has to be sane enough to communicate properly. And I'm drawn to people who try hard at life.
44. Do you automatically add friends to your journal if they add you first?
No. See this post.
What is the most likely reason you wouldn't add someone to your friends list?
If I don't know them.
45. Do you care if someone adds you to his or her friends list if you add him or her first?
Would you remove them from yours if they didn't? No.
46. Are there any people's Journals (users / friends), communities, interests, or searches you frequent on LiveJournal that you don't or will not list in your user info page?
Yes. Again, see this post.
- More than Friends on LJ -
47. Is your "Significant Other" on LJ?
If not, do they know you post on LJ?
48. Other than your S.O., who are you the most attracted to on LJ?
49. Who is the sexiest person you know on LJ?
No one I've seen.
50. Have you ever fantasized about someone on LJ?
51. Would you want to know if someone fantasized about you on LJ?
Yes, I would. More for personal safety reasons than anything else.
52. Would you date someone you met on LJ?
53. Have you ever wanted to meet someone on LJ?
Yes. latraviata who might be planning a road trip up here =)
54. Have you ever actually met someone from LJ romantically (or otherwise) and hit it off (or not)?
55. Have you ever posted a naughty picture / post / story on LJ?
- Technical LiveJournal -
56. Do you prefer to post from a Client or the Web Interface?
Both, I use the Win32 Client more often, but I used the Web because the Client doesn't support Chinese Language input.
57. Do you use HTML to add extras to your entries?
58. Is your LJ page customized (at all - even from template), template, or default?
Customized, but not very much.
59. Do you usually use the WinAmp music detector, add you music manually, or none at all?
If I listened to music, I would put it in manually.
60. How well do you know the LJ features and how to use it?
I know how to use it and how to tweak it to do what I want.
61. What is your favorite LJ feature?
I don't really have one. The features I REALLYREALLY want, don't exist.
62. What is your least favorite LJ feature (one that you would change or delete if you could)?
Can't think of one...
63. What feature would you most like to see added to LJ?
An Idiot Filter for the Random Feature.
64. What moods would you most like to see added to LJ?
None, but I wish we weren't limited to specific icons for specific moods. Ie. I would love to be able to pick the icon separately and put in my own mood text separately. For example, I always use sleepy.gif for "tired" and tired.gif for "defiant". I'm sometimes a happy "okay" and I'll use happy.gif, but sometimes I'm a bland "okay", so I'll use blah.gif. And I'll also use blah.gif for "poker faced". The point is, I don't use the images the way they're pre-set. That's part of the reason why I do my own mood/weather/water things.
65. "One day the directory will work again." How long until you believe until that day will come?
Never. The way the Clusters are implemented (unless the User Profiles are kept in an unclustered location), looking for all the users with one particular interest would be insane. You'll be compiling information from across potentially all clusters (which was exactly what they wanted to avoid for the Friends List).
66. On a scale of 1-100, rate the LJ for convenience, usefulness, and coolness factor:
- Miscellaneous -
67. How many other surveys have you done on LJ?
A few, now and then.
68. How does this survey compare to those?
This one is way longer.
69. Do you think this last question was added solely to get to this number or not?
Big Huge LiveJournal Survey
1. Your LiveJournal "user name": bride
weather : cloudy outside : 7°C mood : ecstatic Subject: Popsicles in the Freezer. Help yourself. Dear People In…
weather : sunny outside : 20°C mood : ... Well, we won. If you can call it "winning" when none of the other cars…
weather : sunny outside : 20°C mood : ... Continuing on the not-exaggerated analogy of Work: Apparently, aside…