- peel, scoop out seeds and strings
- dice into 1" cubes (but cut them a little bigger than that because they shrink with all the stirring and flipping around)
- add salt and whatever other spices you think go with it
- stir-fry it in a wok
- add some water, cover, turn the heat down and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes
- once it's done, dump it all into a boiling pot of this stuff (1 carton)
- turn the heat down and wait a bit (I don't know why. Husband Guy is always telling me to "turn the heat down and wait a bit"... I don't see what difference this makes)
- add salt to taste
And that will NOT be butternut squash soup.
It becomes butternut squash sauce and it goes nicely with rice. With the three of us, I made 4 (uncooked) cups of rice and we had leftovers for lunch the next day.
If you really wanted butternut squash soup, you can buy it. =) Kidding. I guess you could just add hot water to that and mix it around a little.
The most important thing, though, is that my house is not on fire. Well, second most important. Everyone who ate this is still alive and it's been 72 hours now.